Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tomato Lemonade – Background and Theme choices

When I first knew I was going to make a blog, 'Tomato Lemonade' was not on my mind as a title choice. 'Sweet Zebra Shades' or 'Chicken Nuggets' were at the forefront of my thoughts, or maybe something including NASCAR, the only sport I am even relatively interested in (it IS a sport, don't start with me). I thought about a name a lot, talked with my boyfriend, my mom, my sister, and couldn't really decide on something that was 'me' enough. The past few summers, I worked at Camp Hanover, a residential summer camp run by the Presbytery of the James. Camp Hanover has been a part of my life since I was six years old, and I love it. The summer camp director has a son who is about six years old. Last summer, he was obsessed with 'Tomato Lemonade.' Of course, no one really knew what tomato lemonade was, and it also doesn't sound particularly appetizing. But, he is such an adorable kid that everyone just went along with it. I have always remembered 'tomato lemonade' and loved the creativity and fun with which this little boy came up with it. So when I was trying to come up with a name for this blog, 'Tomato Lemonade' was thrown out, somewhat as a joke. But, I liked it. It was unique, it was rememberable, and it had a good story. Thus, Tomato Lemonade was born.

When I started looking through the themes for TL, I focused on yellow and red ones. I went through several, attempted customizing, but couldn't really find any that I liked much. I started looking at places other than wordpress and found one or two I really liked, but had a lot of trouble getting it to work. After much researching and many attempts, I just gave up and started looking back on wordpress again. I finally found the one I have now (TAKTEEK01 1.4.4) and through a little customization with the header and color choices, I have something I think I can work with. However, if anyone has figured out how to upload a new theme, I would be eternally grateful for some help! =D

As for plugins, I have also gone through MANY to figure out what I want and what looks good. I have a few saved for when I start posting non-assignment type posts (like a random image one) and a few that seem to work well. The RSS feed with my twitter and a tag cloud are pretty much the extent of what I have added, but I have looked at a lot and may add more. I tried a few with last.fm but I couldn't get them to work properly. Maybe it's my theme or maybe I am doing it wrong? Who knows. Wordpress is a new environment for me, and as someone used to LiveJournal, I miss a lot of what they have to offer sometimes. But, with every experience comes more knowledge and I look forward to seeing what this blog has to offer me and what I have to offer to the world.

7 comments:

  1. NASCAR' is a sport? Who knew? :)

    Your site looks great, and it is obvious to me your time in professor Whalen's course made you a quick study. I also need to comment at length on your reflections about Gardner campbell's essay and presentation, which I think really gets at the heart of some serious issues, namely how do we do this?

    Well, I take a faith from the idea that we are doing it, even if starting small, and through folks like you and the other 27 in this class, and maybe the other 25 in Zach's class, and maybe another 50 or 100 here or there we can understand and critically engage this space so that it doesn't simply revert to yet another transactional technology.

    What we quickly realize is that it's up to us, and that is both scary and empowering at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NASCAR is totally a sport!!!

    But yes, it is up to us, and I think as long as everyone focuses on the productive possibilities rather than just ‘how can I make my life easier in this second,’ then we can do good things.

    Also, I have never had Professor Whalen. ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan,

    My confusion, I read this pot on the course blog, and actually associated your post with someone else's who was comparing this class to professor Whalen's. So, you're even that much further ahead! I'll find that post and link you to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great site, thanks. Do you have a RSS feed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very good for report, I follow your blog:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Merely returned here to remind you about Mobile Monopoly. It is a superb system and WILL make you money, especially seeing as you own a web site. Take a quick look at their video, the strategy is about using Mobile Advertising which is brand new and an unexposed marketplace where you can make thousands by doing hardly any work. I promise you that after you watch their short video it will change you and it will start making you think. http://mobile-mastermind.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Just returned here to advise you regarding Mobile Monopoly. This is a superb system and WILL make you money, especially seeing as you own a website. Take a quick look at their video, the system is about using Mobile Advertising which is brand new and an unexposed marketplace where you can make thousands by doing hardly any work. I promise you that after you watch their short video it will change you and it will start making you think. http://mobile-mastermind.com

    ReplyDelete