Thursday, September 30, 2010

Project Proposal

In the last few months, I have taken a big interest in cooking. At the beginning of the summer, I spent some time with my grandma, who is an AMAZING cook. She taught me to make drunk chicken (and introduced me to lemon pepper seasoning - LOVE IT) and we talked a little about cooking in general. I then spent another summer at a camp where we cooked a couple nights a week on a campfire, and in order to keep from eating the same thing every week, I learned a bit about preparing food. The week or two I was at home this summer I spent wishing I knew more about cooking than pancakes and spaghetti.

So here is where my project comes in. I am going to learn to cook. I mean, I know some, obviously, but I want some sort of repertoire of recipes in my brain, and I want to eat some good food this semester - the nest is killing me, and I don't even want to think about seaco. I have a bunch of recipes I have saved from bettycrocker.com, a couple magazines, and some family/friend recipes. I am going to cook one entree a week and one other dish - an appetizer, a drink, a dessert, etc. I will post where I got the recipe from, take pictures, evaluate, say what I changed when cooking or what I would in the future, and be descriptive as I can in the process. The last two or three weeks I would like to cook my food without using a recipe - therefore using the knowledge and experience I have gained in this process.

I went to the store today and bought food to make Mexican Shepherds Pie and Fresh Peach Salsa - food for week one, care of bettycrocker.com. =]

5 comments:

  1. oooh! this sounds exciting! I can see this as a project that will end up being really rewarding, and I look forward to seeing what you decide to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! This is a great idea! If I wasn't so lazy I would totally do this as my project! Have you seen the movie Julie and Julia? If you haven't you definitely should. It is about a girl that goes through Julia Childes cook book and blogs about it everyday! I loved the movie which is why that was one of my first thoughts for this class but I am very lazy and I don't really like cooking, so there went that idea. Anyways good luck with this and I look forward to reading about your cooking escapades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon pepper seasoning and Betty Crocker are two of my favorite things! Maybe I'll reconsider my project to be a taste tester and reviewer of your creations... not really. But it *would* be nice. Maybe you could bring some stuff to class for show and tell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morrgan,

    I've been following this American Studies blog on food here at UMW, and I was fascinated by this write-up of a Mexican cookbook that very much framed the recipes around a personal story of family and childhood. I though the coming together of the culinary and personal narrative was quite interesting in regards to your digital story, and figured I would pass on the link:
    http://americanfood.umwblogs.org/2010/10/06/what-we-can-learn-from-cookbooks/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your nice experience to share with us. Really awesome article with plenty of informative things to be known for us.

    ReplyDelete