Saturday, August 28, 2010

Assignment 1 – Gardner’s Cyberinfrastructure



Cyberinfrastructure is something more specific than the network itself, but it is something more general than a tool or a resource developed for a particular project, a range of projects, or, even more broadly, for a particular discipline.

— American Council of Learned Societies,
Our Cultural Commonwealth, 2006




This opening had me far beyond confused, but after reading Gardner Campbell's article, I think I have a decent understand of his idea of a 'cyberinfrastructure' (though where that word comes from I don't know) and how it can relate to my life and the lives of those around me, both in college and out of it. Speaking with friends who have already graduated, every now and then they talk of an assignment or project they worked on, were proud of, and wish they still had access too. I feel the same way about some high school papers, and of course with hindsight 20/20, wish I had saved them somewhere other than school computers. All the work they expected me to do was finished, but once it was done it didn't seem to matter anymore. A personal space, one for each of us to call our own, would be helpful in not only preventing some of that regret, but also show our personal growth over time. And what is more, we would be able to do so as a community of people - aka the entire human race. Watching youtube videos from Japan and Ireland and Australia, facebooking with friends met years ago and sharing in those experiences, twittering with people we have never and probably will never meet - all these interactions create a community, and communities lead to progress. As the possibilities for growth increase exponentially, so too should our motivation to seize those opportunities.

However, with growth comes new responsibilities, and with responsibility comes the potential for downfall. Fifty years ago, there was no such thing as 'identity theft' and hacking into email, facebook, bank accounts online was not a fear because they simply did not exist. While the advantages of a cyberinfrastructure are tremendous, so too are the possibilities of it falling apart. The psychology major in me says today's youth are already lacking the abilities to communicate well with each other due to the abilities to hide behind computer screens or obsess over video games, and having too much of our lives focus on computers does not necessarily lead to progress. This 'bag of gold' as Gardner calls it, may also come with a few rusty pieces in it and we need to be wary of them.

Article & Video

31 comments:

  1. This is an excellent website!! I cannot wait to follow along with your adventures =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog title makes me think of some sort of delicious V8 juice. What a creative choice!

    I can tell I'm going to like the psychology major in you-- and even as a boring history major I agree about a marked decline in the ability of youth to put the cell phones down, look away from the computer, and conduct a real conversation that reflects caring and interest. But then I sound like a grandmother and that's not cool. So I don't ever say any of this out loud. This is why I think we could be friends. At least over the internet. Perhaps IRL, too.

    The upside, like you say, is that we do, indeed, have an entirely new community to introduce ourselves to and interact with and to neglect that reality would seriously hinder our growth as students and individuals. Somewhere in there is a balance. Hopefully we find it.

    See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah but, Sony will sue until you go out of business or stop selling their product. Not until you get a criminal offense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a marvellous job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey - nice blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you are getting hit hard with spam, you may need to install Akismet. I think Megan has a tutorial for that, if not do a quick Google serch and the oracle will deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fascinating blog about Assignment 1 – Gardner’s Cyberinfrastructure Tomato Lemonade : An array of delicious drinks. I read it twice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello webmaster. I like your post about Assignment 1 – Gardner’s Cyberinfrastructure Tomato Lemonade : An array of delicious drinks.

    But i have a question not related to subject: Do you use a seperate posting program or do you write your blogs in the wordpress admin? If you post your answer here below, i will read this in the next few day's.

    Thanks Arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekering

    ReplyDelete
  11. Couldn't be written any better. Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for an idea, you sparked at thought from a angle I hadn’t given thoguht to yet. Now lets see if I can do something with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a fantastic blog guide ,We stock Argyle, Bailey, Cardy, Sheepskin, ?- .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for an incredible and topical report My partner and I truly recognize all the labor in which went in to the producing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for creating this. I really feel as though I know so much more about the topic than I did before. You should continue this, Im sure most people would agree youve got a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching Google for this issue, I have to say your site is really helpful I also love the theme, its amazing!. I dont have that much time to read all your post at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gracias por sus comentarios perspicaces. Espero visitar su sitio site en breve.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The next time I read a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I know it was my choice to learn, however I really thought youd have one thing fascinating to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about one thing that you could possibly fix in case you werent too busy searching for attention.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wahnsinn! So eine Story hätte ich absolut nicht geglaubt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you adult males possess a page on facebook and something similar to that? I tried to find it then nevertheless couldn't discover a, I'd really like to become follower! Such are also the kind of posts I usually

    ReplyDelete
  21. How long does it take to transfer money from one bank account to another utilizing online banking? My supporter has a bank account with HSBC and asks to transfer some money over to my Natwest bank account. How long would it take to clear up? I cogitate they're doing it tomorrow via online banking system, would I get the money by the weekend do you think? I have done bank transports before between 2 Natwest explanations and the monies showed up more or less straight aside. I was only marvelling if it were different when it's from one banking company to another named depository financial institution?

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is really interesting. Thanks for posting it. By the looks of the comments, many others think so too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Couldn't be written any better. Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for taking the time to share this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you gain knowledge, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you, I have recently been searching for information about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Due to the fact that in choosing some time for that nice read in regards to this specific area . Looking in Search engines I now characterised that site. When studying the minutiae Hence i'm real convinced to pronounce that we have a very excellent impression I came to know about everything that I was ready for. I most certainly is going to be guaranteed to remember this business and take a look all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Excellent post over again. I am looking forward for more updates:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I’ve turn out to be seeing a few articles or reviews and really and receive your letters. I’m just establishing my very own website and only hope that we are able to word at the same time and supply the bookworm so greatly knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi...A situation very got me contemplating man..... per intelligent piece ,I must indicate.CcNmHixmx,F

    ReplyDelete